Friday, June 6, 2008

More from Jo: A Moveable Feast

Occupation: pre-service teacher

Currently reading: A Moveable Feast, Hemingway

Why this book: I have a friend who is deeply into Hemingway, and I finally gave into his pressuring and borrowed his latest fling so that I would have a basis for my previously-unfounded snotty criticism of the author.

Thoughts: Well, I was dead wrong. At first this was just a neutral read, gentle and occasionally witty, and good at evoking my nostalgia for Paris (as a side note, this book will be twice as awesome if you've spent some time there), but somewhere in the middle I found the 'sublime' in the prose that my friend kept saying was there. And by the end, I had been totally converted by the simultaneously layered and direct honesty of Hemingway's style. There may be a lot of technical and/or geographical description that my eyes tend to flit right over, but then you come to a sentence--"We looked and there it all was: our river and our city and the island of our city"--that says precisely what it needs to say, no more, and says it truthfully. So Chris, I apologize for not believing you before.

No comments: